As children grow, their vision changes – and often. From ages six to 18, a child’s vision can change quickly and drastically. Eye exams help uncover vision issues, detect eye diseases early and preserve a child’s vision long-term.
Any uncorrected vision problems can:
- Impair child development
- Interfere with learning and retention
- Risk permanent vision loss
- Result in behavioural and attention difficulties
Routine Eye Exams
Optometry Australia (OA) recommends early vision exams for children and routine eye exams throughout their childhood and adolescence. A vision screening allows the optometrist to check your child’s eyes for potential health concerns, revealing a possible vision problem.
However, a comprehensive eye exam performed by an optometrist or ophthalmologist is needed to diagnose eye diseases. During routine eye exams, we check all aspects of their eye health, as well as eye-tracking, eye focusing and eye coordination and more.
Common Signs Your Child Might Need an Eye Exam
If your child does any of the following, they might be struggling with vision impairments:
- Covers one eye
- Tilts their head while trying to concentrate
- Squints their eyes to try to see clearly
- Holds reading materials close to their face
- Has a short attention span
- Struggles retaining written or visual information
- Complains of headaches and other discomforts
Other reasons we encourage families to arrange eye exams for their children include:
- If they fail a vision screening
- If they have an increased risk of vision problems, perhaps due to developmental delay, a medical condition or family history
- If any other concerns arise regarding their vision
We Invite You to Arrange Your Child’s Eye Exam
At Envision Optical, we want to best for your child’s eye health and overall wellness. Andrew Bowden and his team provide compassionate and exceptional care to diagnose, treat and manage vision changes in children and teens. We ensure your child is comfortable and relaxed during their visit, and we make eye exams fun and engaging for kids of all ages.
If you are ready to arrange your child’s routine eye exam, we invite you to contact our Tweeds Heads or Burleigh Waters clinics.